Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What Happen To Your Pet After Baby Comes

A few weeks ago I stopped by at my friend's house. She and her family is moving to Singapore and they are selling their stuffs. After talking to her, I found out she's not taking her dog with her. Let me step back and tell you a little bit about her. Of all people in the world, she is the last person I would think who's willing to get rid of her dog. Her dog was like her child, even more than the way I treated my dog. Her dog slept with her (on her pillow), she groomed it herself. When my husband teased her dog, she even told him to stop it. Words can't even describe how much she loved her dog. So I said to her, I couldn't believe she's not taking Molly (her dog's name) with her. Then she said after having a child your feeling towards your dog completely changed.

I went back home to think about what she said. Has my feeling towards my dog changed ever since my son was born? I hate to admit but I guess she might be right. It's really hard not to be upset with your dog when he barks over some noise, only to awake your son who just fell asleep after long waking night. How about when your dog needs to be walked when you're chasing your toddler around, making sure he's not going to hurt himself? Are there times when you tell your dog to go away because your baby won't stop pulling his tail and you're just afraid your dog will snap and bite him? Let's not forget that when you're getting ready to go out with your baby, you're busy packing his diaper bag, putting his snack, his meal, etc. At the same time you also have to take your dog out for potty and put him in his cage or kennel. I remember one time I was a little upset coming home only to find my dog had "an accident". The entire floor of laundry room were filled with poops and pee. Meanwhile I have a screaming hungry baby. All these little things do take extra time and efforts. It's not surprising that we might get upset with our dogs, even though they do nothing wrong but simply just being a dog.

When I told my husband about what happen to Molly and the fact that I couldn't believe what my friend did to her, he brought an interesting question. He asked me wouldn't I be happy if there is someone who can treat our dog to be a King again like the way we did before our son was born? We are just simply too busy.

I realize my feeling towards my dog has changed a little bit. But whenever I feel that way, I try to think all the joy he brought to our lives. The unconditional love he has for us, the tricks we taught him to do, the times he curled up and slept right next to me when my husband was away on a business trip.

I don't think I could ever give up my dog, even if I find someone who could care and treat him like a King. I just wished my husband's feeling towards our dog does not change this much. I just wished my dog can sleep with us again (he wouldn't let him sleep with us anymore after he peed on our bed)... just to get a little reminiscent of the old days.

What do you think? Will you give up your dog in this situation?

No comments:

 

The Mommy Diary | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL