Monday, August 11, 2008

My Typical Daily Schedule As a Working Mom

In the beginning of my mommyhood I was trying different method in term of doing everything as a working woman and a mom, all in the same day. I'm sure most of us have days when we wished there are more than just 24 hours in a day. Since now we have $1000/mo daycare expense, money is a little tight and we can't buy take out whenever we want to. Here is my typical daily schedule, and when I compare it to my friends at work, it's pretty much the same.

AM
6:30 Wake up and get ready to work
7:00 Wake my son up (if he's not already awake), get him dressed, wipe his face with warm cloth
7:15 Give my son breakfast. Typical breakfast is a slice of bread and a glass of milk. While my son is eating his breakfast, I pack my lunch and get stuffs in the car (his blankie and teddy bear, library books if I need to return them, etc)
7:30 - 7:35 Leave the house to daycare. Drop off my son.
7:40 - 8:00 Leave to the office (ok...maybe I arrive at the office 10 minutes late)
10:30 - 11:00 Work out. I'm one of the lucky ones that the company provides a gym for its employees. I normally use this as a part of my lunch hour to work out with some of my coworkers.
11:30 - 12:00 lunch
5 pm Leave the office
5:30 Arrive home or pick up my son if my husband has to work late
5:30 - 6:00 Prepare the cooked dinner (putting it in the microwave, etc)
6:00 Dinner time
6:30 - 7:00 Play with my son
7:00 Bath time
7:30 Play again while my son drinks a little bit of milk
8:00 Bed time
8:00 - 8:30 Exercise, weight lifting
8:30 - 9:00 Shower
9:00 - 11:00 Cooking and cleaning
11:00 Getting ready to bed, browse internet a little bit or watch tv

My schedule is pretty hectic and normally I don't get to sleep until around midnight. Also, when my son comes home from daycare he normally gets really hungry. On top of that, he's very attach to me and likes to hanging on my leg while I'm cooking. So cooking after he goes to bed for the next day meal works much better for me, since it's almost impossible to cook when he's around. Typically, our today's dinner is our tomorrow's lunch. This way we save money by packing our lunches.

Some of my friends thought I'm a super woman for doing all these things. But I guess being a night person I have a lot of energy as it gets closer to midnight. My next goal is to have a laptop so I can browse internet and blog while watching tv at the same time. Being a mom with this hectic schedule means you have to somehow multi task whenever it's possible. Another tip is try to be as organize as you can by planning ahead of time what you're going to cook everyday. Every weekend I plan the weekly menu, write grocery list based on that menu. Once we do grocery, I separate the meat in a zip lock bag for about a pound each, just enough for each meal. Also, try to cut corners as much as you can, e.g. buy frozen or precut veggies.

If any of you can share what your typical schedule is, that'd be great... just so that we can learn from each other.

No comments:

 

The Mommy Diary | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL