Saturday, August 9, 2008

Moms in the Work Place; Can We Have It All?

Last Friday one of my co-workers came to chat with me and I notice she felt a little upset. Turns out our boss just made a comment to her that she (our boss) felt disappointed that nobody in our department is willing to put overtime. We are accountants and we have deadlines every beginning of the month to close the book and prepare financial statement. The company has been putting a lot of pressure on us in order to close the book earlier, so that the executives could go over the financial statement earlier.

Most of the people in my department, including me, are mothers. My boss is married but chose not to have a child (she has stepdaughter). I don't think anybody without biological child could understand how important it is for us to spend those valuable hours with our loved ones. I spent 10 hours away from my child with 8 hours working, 1 hour lunch, and about 1 hour commute. Ideally I spent only 3 hours with my son everyday and I want to make the most of it. Personally I don't mind putting a little bit overtime here and there. But if it becomes a habit or requirement, then I will have a problem. I used to think that women with child tend to use their children as the reason to slack off, until I have my own.

Is there a job out there that accommodate mothers, allowing us to have good career and at the same time be good mothers? Can we have it all? Can career and motherhood go hand in hand? One can only wish. It's all up to you whether you want to put your career or your family as your priority. All I can say is kids grow up only once. If I miss watching them growing, I can't go back in time to fix it. So it's clear to me that my family comes first even if I have to kiss promotion good bye.

No comments:

 

The Mommy Diary | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL